The Center for Ethics endorses the Lehigh University “Principles of our Equitable Community.” We thus affirm the importance of respect, inclusiveness, non-discrimination, civility, academic freedom, responsibility, and equity; we embrace diversity and individuality; and we strive for mutual understanding and unity based on the affirmation of the inherent dignity in all of us.
We further endorse this statement by Lehigh University President John D. Simon:
"At Lehigh, we celebrate our diversity, and we embrace our academic, cultural, economic, and physical differences. We respect one another, we look out for one another, and we help one another succeed. These principles are not just words on paper; they are what we believe in and what we expect of our entire campus community."
Lehigh's Principles of Our Equitable Community
Lehigh University is first and foremost an educational institution, committed to developing the future leaders of our changing global society. Every member of our community has a personal responsibility to acknowledge and practice the following basic principles:
- We affirm the inherent dignity in all of us, and we maintain an inclusive and equitable community.
- We recognize and celebrate the richness contributed to our lives by our diverse community.
- We promote mutual understanding among the members of our community.
- We confront and reject discrimination in all its forms, including that based on age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, socio-economics, veteran status, or any differences that have been excuses for misunderstanding, dissension, or hatred.
- We affirm academic freedom within our community and uphold our commitment to the highest standards of respect, civility, courtesy, and sensitivity toward every individual.
- We recognize each person’s right to think and speak as dictated by personal belief and to respectfully disagree with or counter another’s point of view.
- We promote open expression of our individuality and our differences within the bounds of University policies.
- We acknowledge each person’s obligation to the community of which we have chosen to be a part.
- We take pride in building and maintaining a culture that is founded on these principles of unity and respect.